Saturday, September 8, 2012

Free Lace Beret


I've made two of these now, one for myself and one for my best friend.



That white stuff is snow.
I knit it on 4mm needles, with good ole' Red Heart worsted-weighted yarn. It have the hat a nice bulky feeling, great for winter. In fact, I even took it to the Great White North with me! Its wonderfully warm and I think its pretty cute. And it was cheap to make!










The second iteration was done on Caron Simply Soft yarn, which is a bit more fluid than the Red Heart. It was a much easier knit, and the texture was better. I have yet to test it in cold weather, as September in Georgia still means 85+ weather.









I took between 10-15 hours to knit. Its done flat, so there is a seam, but its not very noticeable.

I would recommend doing this on 14" needles. The stitches get very scrunched up.

This was the first beret I've made, so I can't tell you how it added up to other patterns. I had a bitch of a time with the first one. That may have been the yarn, though.



The band is really nice for sensitive ears. Personally, my ear freeze in anything below 70 with a breeze. The band goes right over them, so that issue was dealt with.

Its a fun pattern, and I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment