Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Hallowe'en Preparation

Fall is my favourite time of year.

I freakin love Hallowe'en.

Pumpkins
I've tried out a few pumpkin knitting patterns. I feel like its the simple ones that work the best.

I've been using this pattern, from Ravelry. Even if you don't make the arms and legs and face, its a really great pattern for pumpkins. I've made about seven of them now, for various people and reasons.


Apple Cider

I made apple cider. Turns out--super easy. Sorry, no pictures--camera was acting up. If I do a second batch, I'll update.

For the experiment, I took one apple, and sliced it. If you have a mandolin slicer, that would make things super easy. Or, you can core the apple, and slice the pieces into chucks. Oh, and I used a Gaia apple.

In a small saucepan, I put about 1.5 cups of filtered water, and the apple slices. I covered, heated to boil, and then let it simmer for maybe 45 minutes. Systematically, I pulled the lid off and mashed the apples with a potato masher.
When it smelled good and apple-y, I took it off the heat. I put a large funner into a jar, threw a coffee filter into the funnel, then poured my mashy-juice mixture in batches. I threw out the mash, but you can use this for applesauce! And its delicious!

After I filtered the juice, I rinsed out my pot and poured the juice back in. I heated it to a simmer, and added about a tablespoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of nutmeg. You can also add ginger and other assorted spices.

For a hard cider, I recommend adding Captain Morgan's, or another spiced rum.

There is plenty of information on the internet from more informed people than I. But seriously, try it! Its delicious!

CANDY CORN.
Pattern Here
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/happy-candy-corns

Frankly, I hated the little faces on the original pattern, but I love the little corns! So cute!

Turns out you can MAKE candy corn yourself. The eating kind. I must try this.

Bowl Cozy

I have bright orange, square bowls. Pretty Hallowe'eny to begin with. But I decided to make a striped cozy for it anyway. I eyeballed it, and missed a bit--its a bit large--but the effect is the same. I feel like if I had ribbed the cozy, I would have fit very well.

I'm thinking that I'm going to make some cute little bows.

The image quality of pictures I post should rise in the near future--Friday I will be purchasing an Asus T300 Tablet (Like the one boyfriend has). No longer shall I take pictures with a 1.3 megapixel phone! And I can update more often.So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment